Thursday 16 November 2017

Who's Listening and How - the Latest

It's tempting to wrap up and send a copy of the latest MIDAS survey to every press columnist  for Christmas.  This jolly publication from the Rajar folk always offers some interesting data, which often contradict many of the assumptions from those innocents with the temerity to pen articles about our beloved medium.

In September, the intrepid researchers re-contacted just over two thousand of the long-suffering folk who'd already filled in a Rajar diary to dig deeper into their listening habits. We should thank Ipsos for their valiant efforts.

How is radio being consumed – and how are those methods of consumption trending?

Despite all the hullaballoo, live radio still commands an impressive share of ear-time for UK citizens. 75% of all the stuff on which we feast our ears - from online music streaming and podcasts to ‘listen again’, CDs or battered Agfa cassettes – is good old live radio. Everybody else’s share of that ear-cake is surprisingly about the same as two years ago, with only another 2 percentage points of live radio’s time being scattered across the many other options.  On-demand music streaming (OMS) accounts for 8% of adult ear-time now - and its consumption is daytime-led and male-driven.

The picture changes by demo, of course.  Although a very healthy 82% of 15-24s do seem equipped to turn on a live radio, they appear to get bored pretty quickly.  Only around half of  the ear-time of messy-haired 15-24s is taken up by live radio – compared to 77% for 35-54s. As can be seen, on-demand music streaming (OMS) is the single biggest villain eating the breakfast of those 15-24s.

The couple of standard Rajar radio audience graphs (below) indicate that live radio’s weekly reach generally amongst 15-24s has declined from 90% at the turn of the decade to 83% now, against a reassuringly stable 'all adult' figure. 

Weekly time spent listening amongst 15-24s across those years, however, has fallen a hefty 16% in that time down from  17 to 14.2 hours per week. 

We’re all spending a little less time with radio each week, though - falling in seven years by 11% for all adults, 12% for 35-54s and 4% for 65-74s. We've all got a lot more to do with our lives.

Back to MIDAS, podcasting only accounts for a small slice of all ear-time –  although taken together with listen again, it now accounts for 4%, much the same as last year. That’s certainly not shoddy for this thing with a funny name and it looks set to grow slowly - but it's not exactly disruptive. Podcast listening is younger than its 'listen again' sister - and more male. 

Live radio - and podcasts - both reach their maximum audiences between 8.00-8.15 am. On-demand music services see a high between 3:00-3:15 pm - and for 'listen again', the peak is between 10:15-10.30 pm. It's true though that 'listen again' rattles along fairly consistently through the day.

So – what do we listen to live radio on? Mostly on a radio-shaped radio.  There is little doubt, however, that AM/FM listening is gravitating to DAB. DAB has grown from 35% of listening in Autumn 2014 to 41% now – and FM down from 43% to 39%. 

If you draw a straight line graph based on the FM decline, which would be utterly foolish, FM dies out in the year 2036 - by which point Judi Dench will be 102. The UK was late to join the FM transmission party – but it’s lasted us over 60 years already, so let’s not moan. 

Maybe strangely, the amount of live radio consumption which is not on a radio set has stayed about the same (16% in 2017) across the last four years.

Around half of adults now have a radio app on their phone - about 8m more people than three years ago. Penetration amongst the demos are bouncing around – but overall amongst all adults the figure rises from 35% in 2014 to 49% in 2017. Perhaps as smart phones have become more affordable, the 15-24s have been catching up with their 25-34 balding brothers. Whatever 2018 brings in our changing and worrying World, we can relax knowing we’ll likely hear the news that many more Brits have a radio app on their phone than don’t.

We once paid non-listeners to listen to our station as part of a focus group exercise. One recalcitrant trotted back in the following week in a frayed crimson parka to say they couldn’t find us on their telly. Listeners expect you to be everywhere – and it’s an expensive business for our industry. AM/FM radios are unsurprisingly the most ubiquitous gadgets which people turn to - followed closely behind by DAB radios. 11.6% do use their TV for at least some of their listening. But to turn a stat on its head – just to make again the point that radio listening remains more traditional than folk think - 90% don’t listen to any live radio on their smart phones.  So – they may have a radio app on their phone – but they are not thumbing it too frequently.  Can we do more about that?

OK Google, we really should applaud smart speakers and buy everyone one for Christmas.  ‘Cos when it comes to using those, people are far more likely to ask Alexa to play a radio station than any other form of comparable audio entertainment (58% of device eartime). On i-pads and smart phones, folk are much more likely to get up to all sorts. 

Although it accounts for but a pint-sized proportion of radio listening time and by currently just 1.1% of adults - there is something hugely encouraging about the love affair between radio and smart speakers. The biggest - and most distinctive - radio brands will win - and current radio operators may or may not be running those. Analyst firm OVUM suggests 40% of homes will be 'smart' by 2021.

Radio remains a one to one medium. 51% of all adults suggest they listen to radio on their own, with 20% saying they listen with their partner.  Amongst the less -coupled 15-24s, there are a wider variety of possibilities -  just 43% listen alone, but 11% with families and 32% with colleagues

In-car listening is interesting. MIDAS suggests that whilst a majority of adults will choose to listen in on the move (57% reach), the share of listening attributed to those travellers is much less than columnists might expect, being outshone by the amount of time people listen whilst working or studying.  I often wonder whether we programmers take into account sufficiently when our light and heavy listeners are most likely to be with us.

Overall, MIDAS suggests, if you picture your listener serving an angry customer, reading a physics text book, driving to Ingoldmells, eating a microwave meal, scrubbing the grill pan or just chilling – then you’ve accounted for about 90% of all listening.  The column headings indicate, however, no-one has sex whilst listening to the radio. Most off-putting if it's your own voice-tracked show.

All data MIDAS, RAJAR/IpsosMori September 2017 unless otherwise stated.




Grab my book 'Radio Moments'50 years of radio - life on the inside. A personal and frighteningly candid reflection on life in radio now and then. The drama - the characters - the headaches - the victories.











Also 'How to Make Great Radio'. Techniques for today's presenters and producers.  Great for newcomers - and food for thought if you've been doing it years.


13 comments:

  1. My dear old Pure pocket DAB seems to be dying, so I'm listenong on my phone instead. Great stuff, love my Radio 4 and 6 music

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cue the scramble to sign up Google/Amazon et al for Xmas promotions, or not......

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX  BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE NOW CONTACT LORD ZULU ON  WHATSAPP  DIRECTLY +1 (424) 361‑7554    


    Allsupremepowersolutionhome@gmail.com +1 (424) 361‑7554 Hi everyone I’m here to testify of a great and powerful spell caster called Lord Zulu I was so confused and devastated when my husband left me without word, I needed him back desperately because I loved him so much. So a friend of mine introduced me to this powerful spell caster who had helped her in getting her lover back, so I contacted him and he promised that in less than 72 hours he will come back to me. After I did all he asked, to my greatest surprise my husband who had refused to speak with me came to my house and asked for forgiveness for all he had made me go through and now we are living happily together, if you have any relationship problem I will advise you contact him for your testimonies. Below are his contact details.     Contact him on WhatsApp @ +1 (424) 361‑7554  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Spells Magic to help you understand your relationship problems, find your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of Abdul Basser®. Save your marriage from divorce & make your relationship stronger, fix trust issues & misunderstandings between two lovers and get back lost lover in just 48hrs. Love spells to reverse a breakup & save your relationship. Lost love spells to get your ex lost lover back permanently & bring back lost love.


    Heal relationship problems using love spells to increase love between two people. Love spells to banish intimacy & communication problems in your relationship. Love spells to make someone fall in love with you, attract a new lover, stop your partner from cheating on you & love spells to prevent a divorce.


    Lost love spells to permanently get your ex husband back or ex wife back. Lost love spells to permanently get your ex boyfriend or ex girlfriend back.


    Love spells chants to strengthen a relationship. Chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your relationship & marriage problems. Love spells chants to help you find love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex back.


    watsapp +27717403094 / , Email basserabdul59@gmail.com ,visit, www.africanspellscaster.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  5. [LOTTERY NUMBERS] ORINGINAL WORLD TOP LOST LOVE SPELLS CASTER IN UK-USA-AUSTRALIA-SOUTH AFRICA-NAMIBIA-GERMANY –CANADA +27717403094 /+19802435719
    Using my magical native lost love spells and portions, I will bring back your ex-W/husband to you, if you still love h/her and you want h/her back. Even if h/she has remarried, my lost love spells will bring him/her back and h/she will love you once again, Why should you be lonely when there is someone out there you have a strong connection with and truly love, lost love spells can bring back an ex-H/wife to you if you still love h/her. Did you realize how much you loved your H/wife after your divorce; maybe you even made the divorce request yourself. Are you regretting that your sweetheart is now your ex-H/wife Get my lost love spells WILL bring back your ex-H/wife. My spells work and they work fast to bring back your lover and even mend things to lead to a happily ever after remarriage. Lost love spells to bring back boy/girlfriend you love but left you No matter how many years you have been away from each other my powerful lost love spells will work for you and bring back that lover in countries like Brunei, Indonesia, Thailand,Angola, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon,Austria, France, San Marino, Slovenia, Switzerland, Vatican City,Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Togo…Call +27717403094 /+19802435719
    Email: basserabdul59@gmail.com
    visit, www.africanspellscaster.co.za
    https://moneyspells4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEST URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR HUSBAND/WIFE/EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE NOW CONTACT LORD ZULU ON WHATSAPP DIRECTLY +1 (424) 361 7554

    My wife left I and my kids 8 months ago, because she felt I was cheating on her with a female friend of mine, I tried all I could to explain to her but he paid deaf ears, I was emotionally devastated because I really loved her until i saw a post on the internet about LORD ZULU, who helps people gain back their lost lover, at first I doubted if it was real because I never believed in such things but I decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a Love spell for me The process of the spell to reunite lovers is very simple and it works perfectly, and he works selflessly for people the same way he restored my relationship within 48 hours and my wife was calling and begging to make up with me again, if you need help to reaffirm your relationship or marriage problem. Here’s his contact,
    EMAIL (allsupremepowersolutionhome@gmail.com)
    or call him on WhatsApp +1 (424) 361 7554

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing things I have experienced in my life. and I saw a wonderful testimony of Lisa on a psychic page about the good works of DR Owo. I never believed it, because I have never heard anything about such a miracle before. Nobody would have been able to convince me about it not until DR Owo did a marvelous work for me that restored My marriage of 6 years by getting my husband back to me .  I was truly shocked when my husband knelt down pleading for forgiveness to accept him back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to Dr Owo For his a God sent to me and my Entire family for divine restoration of my marriage. Contact him now for any kind of help via email: drowoherbs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEST WAY TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK ,RELATIONSHIPS OR YOUR BROKEN MARRIAGE RESTORED BACK.

    I have been in great bondage for about 4 years suffering in the hands of a cheating husband. We were living happily until he met his old time girlfriend and he started dating her again outside our marriage and before I knew it he stopped caring for his own family, to the extent that he was planning to marry her and divorce me. I cried and reported him to his family members but he never listened to anyone and to cut the story short, i came in search for a real spell caster who could destroy their relationship and make him come back to me and our 2 kids again; on my search i saw people sharing testimony on how their marriage was restored by Dr. Owo and I picked his email and told him the problem that i was going through, and he agreed to help me and told me never to worry. After he had finished casting the spell, on the second day, they both had a quarrel and he beat up his girlfriend and he came back home begging me to forgive him that his eyes are clear now that he will never do anything that will hurt his family again and promise to be a caring father and never to cheat on me again. I am so happy that I did not lose him to the girl and all appreciation goes to man for his great work. You are a Great spell caster and to you all that are faced with this or similar problem to this, please contact him now on once again thank you Dr. Owo thank you, thank you reach on: drowoherbs@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (717) 473-7391

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day everybody, This is my testimony on how i won $4,200,201 million I want to use this opportunity to thank Great JOHN for helping me to win the lottery of $4,200,201 million dollars on Mega millions lottery ticket. I have been playing the lottery for the past 6 years now and I have never won. Ever since then I have not been able to win and I was so upset and I needed help to win the lottery. So I decided to go online and search for help, there i saw so many good testimonies about this man called Great JOHN of how he has cast lucky spell lotto for people to win the lottery. I contacted him also and told him I want to win a lottery, he cast a spell for me which I use and I played and won $4,200,201 million dollars. I am so grateful to this man, just in-case you also need him to help you win, you can contact him through his email: Drjohnwinlotterspell@gmail.com, WhatsApp number: +1 (803) 820 2671 ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband divorced me and went after his ex and left me heart broken for 2 years. I have been playing the lottery for some years before I got married and I have never won any big amount. I continued to play the lottery but I couldn't win more than $500 dollars until I was introduced to Dr Amber that is a strong Haiti spell caster. I had a chat with him via +18084815132 telling him what a mess my life has become. He encouraged and promised to get my man back for me and to help me win the lottery. There were specific instructions that was passed to me by him which I adhered to as he prepared the spell for me that brought back my husband within 36 hours and he gave me some sure numbers to play the lottery game. I used the numbers to play the lottery and I won $10,000,000 million dollars and all this happened within a week after I knew Dr Amber. It doesn't matter what you are going through in life Dr Amber is here to help. Website: amberlottotemple.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been unlucky playing the Lottery over the years. I couldn't take the pain anymore and I searched for help online. I saw random positive reviews of DR AMBER saying how he has been helpful with his spells. I visited his webpage: ( amberlottotemple.com ) and he told me what was required to get what I seek for done and I accepted. He did a reading for me that made it clear to him that I was going to become a MEGA JACKPOT winner before he gave me the right numbers to play the Lottery. I had faith in him and I went back to the store a few days later to confirm if I had won. While the clerk was checking my ticket, I heard her say ‘Oh my God! I looked up and saw the Big Winner screen of $36,449,852.60. I was completely shocked, but calm. It feels amazing – I can’t imagine this shift in my life and I want to appreciate this man DR AMBER for his help. It’s not everybody that is naturally lucky to win the Lottery but the solution to win is DR AMBER. For more info, Call/Text/Telegram +1 808 481 5132 or E-mail: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Believe it or not Dr Amber has come to stay to do wonders with his spells. I overheard my co-worker telling his cousin how Dr Amber helped him get back his partner within 24 hours . I was amazed about what he said. I searched for this man called Dr Amber online and guess what... He had so many good reviews online about his work. I got in contact with him to win the lottery and he assured me that winning the lottery is not a problem but what do I intend doing with the winnings. I told him what I will do when I become a winner. Dr Amber prepared a spell and prayed for me for 3 days before he told me where to play the Lottery. I did as he instructed me with positive mindset. To my greatest shock, I was announced the winner of $1,000 dollars everyday for life which is equivalent to a cash prize of $7,000,000 million dollars.. I have no words to thank Dr Amber but to share your good works to everyone that needs help. Visit: amberlottotemple.com or Email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Knowing Dr Amber has been a blessing to me. His spells are incredible with no side effects. I suffered from brain cancer for years with a lot of bills piled up on my neck. I play the lottery hoping that someday I will win big to clear up my debts, live the good life that I've always dreamt of. I was referred to Dr Amber by a friend of mine in South Africa telling me that he can help me win the lottery. I had a chat with Dr Amber about winning the lottery and he was so confident about his work that made me believe in him knowing fully well that he has been helpful to other people. He did a reading for me that made it clear to him that I was going to become a winner after he had prepared the spell for me. He told me the exact ticket to pick and I was declared the winner of ONE MILLION DOLLARS at the "Double Your Money” instant lottery game. I don't know what you seek for but Dr Amber can help you. Email him at ( amberlottotemple@yahoo.com ) to know more or go to : amberlottotemple.com

    ReplyDelete

What can radio learn from how it has handled COVID 19?

In times like this, you turn to your friends. And radio is a friend. Day or night, it’s there to pick-you up, to comfort you, to explai...